Friday, May 28, 2010

Reading

For the past year or so, I've taken to reading books much more than I ever have.

I resisted it for so many years I think probably because growing up, my parents stressed it's importance so often. Me not reading was some sort of misplaced youthful rebellion that carried on into adulthood out of habit.

But times change and now I find it very entertaining. I like forming the pictures in my mind of what I am reading, rather than have it spoonfed to me.

I am also enjoying reading books recommended to me by other people, that is, people whose opinion I value. I find it fascinating to take in through my own eyes what that person already has, and I believe it makes you and the person more relatable and compatible, whether you enjoy their recommendation or not.

Reading, for me, and I'm gonna get a huge "I Told You So." from my dad on this, has made me a better writer. At least I think so anyway. I'm finding more clarity when I am writing here, in my rap lyrics, or even in the social networking scene.

I know I am just preaching to the choir to people who already know the joys of reading, but for me, at age 33, this is a revelation. I am finding a certain inner peace when I am sitting outside, with no sound but neighborhood kids and birds in the background and I am lost in a story.

Ultimately, I believe I am loving reading because it's always been difficult for me to concentrate on one thing for too long, and I think it helps to tame my self diagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder.

No comments: