Friday, September 5, 2008

The Storm

I think one of my more unbecoming traits is that I tend to think bad luck hits me more than it does others.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I have to deal with a lot more...crap--if you will, than your average Joe.

I know in reality, this really isn't true, and there are folks out there who would laugh at what I call bad luck. However it's hard sometimes to think that Murphy's Law is not applying to you.

My lovely wife and I have been planning a quiet weekend trip to Ocean City for about 4 months now. We have babysitters lined up for the kids, and we are staying at the same condo we stayed in when we got engaged almost 4 years ago.

I love our kids, but it will be nice to have a few days where we can come and go as we please.

So, we have all these weeks in a row this summer of fantastic weather. But all of a sudden now we have a hurricane coming this weekend and it picked our weekend at the beach to arrive. No Saturday at the beach I guess, trying to get some sun, swimming in the ocean like I love to do, but high winds and flood warnings.

From what i hear it's going to mimic the famous Hill Valley lightning storm from Back to the Future, or the storm at the end of Karate Kid part 2. (c'mon, it's me, you knew I had to get in my 80's movie plugs)

How nice.

Oh, we are still going. I am dead set on having a nice weekend away from home, even if it means we have to carry an umbrella and wear a raincoat the whole time. We just won't really be able to do normal beach things I guess.

I am trying to look on the bright side. We still have a nice place to stay (if the power doesn't go out), and we can still go out to eat or have some cocktails and have a romantic weekend. It just bothers me that after all these weekends of nice weather, the tropical storms decide to hit on the weekend we chose to go away. I know this is just dumb luck, there are no weather gods out to ruin our good time. And I try my best not to be pessimistic, even though I am a large amount of the time.

Tony Soprano, of the HBO series 'The Sopranos' said in one episode, "Okay, every day is a gift, but does it have to be a pair of socks?"

See what i mean?

Still, I say- storm, bring it on. You may stop us from swimming, sun bathing, or sitting at an outdoor pub, but dammit you aren't going to ruin our good time.

It's going to be a quiet romantic weekend with my wife if it kills me. I mean, what's more romantic than floating down coastal highway on a chunk of the boardwalk that blew off?

See you Monday.

No comments: